The collected mathematical papers of James Joseph Sylvester
Bookreader Item Preview
- Publication date
- Cambridge, University press
- University of California Libraries
- 2006-03-16 19:38:57
- Baker, H. F. (Henry Frederick), 1866-1956
- Call number
- Evidence reported by j.mauthe for item collectedmathem01sylvrich on Mar 16, 2006; no visible copyright symbol and date found; stated date is 1904; the country of the source library is the United States; not published by the US government.
- 2006-03-16 19:42:21
- abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.11
- Possible copyright status
- Worldcat (source edition)
- Full catalog record
Subject: four volumes of good reading
Turning to another area, Sylvester has several papers that provide the (total) number of covariants of given degree and order for a binary form of some fixed degree. This was an area of great interest in the 19th century, until Hilbert's theorems resulted in reduced interest here. Sylvester's papers are still make quite interesting reading, even though invariant theory has moved on from these types of questions.
These four volumes contain papers on many areas of mathematics, and they make very good reading.
For users with print-disabilities
Uploaded by scanner-julie-l on